For the couple who is ready to tie the knot in the beachy paradise of Koh Samui, you’re going to need one fabulous photographer to capture every detail of your sublimely romantic wedding in paradise.
Tie the knot on the beach and stay in an amazing resort or mountainside villa that will help you turn your destination wedding into the honeymoon of a lifetime. Think private pools, romantic panoramic ocean sunset views–but how do you find the right photographer to capture all of your magical memories?
We have selected the top 6 wedding photographers in Koh Samui, to help you to avoid the famous Singaporean wedding photo disaster. Please note that the photographers are not listed in any specific order. All of them have many years of experience and know the island very well, each of them would be a great choice for your wedding.
1. Ana Grey Photography
With 8 years of professional photography experience, Ana Grey offers a mix of portraiture and classic wedding photography, with special attention to detail. Ana Grey loves destination weddings for the fact that they give her a chance to capture even smallest details that are a big part of any wedding day.
According to Ana, “It’s really amazing to be a wedding photographer in Asia – to be part of something very big in paradise under the coconut trees. Smiles, hugs, people who are in love, breathtaking views, stunning villas, and the beach are the best mix of life in photography.”
Ana is happy to customise any wedding package, no matter what your personal needs. Each photography session includes a pre-wedding meeting with the couple to discuss details, as well as no less than 35 images with personal post-production retouching starting from THB18,000 for 4 hours.
The Importance Of Hiring a Professional Wedding Photographer
Any wedding is filled with moments that need to be preserved in time. All weddings have moments that are not seen live, and that’s why you need unforgettable images taken from a Professional Wedding Photographer. Remembering those precious moments is really important for the majority of couples I’ve known that are willing to marry or that are happily married. Experienced Photographers make the difference in the days that come after the wedding, and this days, will eventually become years and years of good memories. Many weddings can be organized with packages that include the location, the food and several services. In this services you’ll find sometimes that they include photography as one of them. Don’t rely on this kind of services since they come as a bundle. Experienced Professionals work on their own since it’s their way of making their living. Every Professional Photographer have its own style and that’s something really worth seeking. One of the things that you will find when hiring a professional photographer, is the passion which they do their job. They love capturing precious moments, and even each style may be up to the clients taste or not, the passion is a common thing you’ll find in Professional Photography. At the end of the day, you’ll be trusting one of the most important moments of your whole life to the Photographer, and that’s why it’s so important to have with you the best you can afford. Don’t leave this to chance, your trust is priceless, don’t throw it away for pictures without passion.
2. Donudes Fine Art Photography
If you’re looking for a truly unique photography experience for your wedding contact Chusakun Tapprasoeth at Donudes.
According to Chusakun, “Photography is the only language that can be understood anywhere in the world. My photography style is natural and is truly worth a thousand words. I specialize in capturing my client’s liveliness as well as creating dramatic backdrops. That is why I compose every photo with intricate detail and composition.”
Donudes artistic ability enables me to enhance the appearance of the subject creating an impression of luminous beauty. Much like how an artist paints their masterpiece, I personally paint each photo with dedication. Weddings are a once in a lifetime experience. That is why I articulate a spiritual relationship in my photography. I live to capture the emotions of the human body and their environment. If you are searching for the finest quality and an unforgettable experience, Donudes Photography is perfect for you. Basic wedding packages begin at THB39,000.
Things To Look When Hiring A Professional Wedding Photographer
There are several things that you have to take in consideration when hiring a Professional Photographer.
- Portfolio: Nothing speaks more truly than a solid Portfolio. This is the first thing you must look when starting to think in a Photographer. Thanks to the internet, you can browse several works, and then make some calls or send some e-mails. Portfolio reviewing don’t end here, it will be very common that you see other pictures in a physical portfolio from the photographer in a meeting. The reason why they don’t post all the images online, is not because they don’t want to, but because they take in consideration the client’s voice as well. Some clients will not allow the best images to go online since they want their intimate most precious moments for themselves. But of course, Photographers will show them in a physical portfolio. This is where you’ll be able to find the Style and the Inner Voice of each and every Photographer. If you can’t find a solid portfolio from the Photographer, you shall NOT hire it, period.
- Personality: There are great Photographers out there, but unfortunately, not every one of them has a great personality. This is important to be taken in consideration because this will be an indicator of how the context days before and after the wedding will be. It is not fun to deal with a grumpy person, especially in those days filled with stress. Normally in a personal meeting, you will be able to know the Photographer’s personality. However for destination weddings a approach via e-mail, phone, Skype or Google hangouts will be more likely and make things more difficult
- Passion: This is simple, Photographers that do their job with passion, reflect it in a way that is so easily felt, that there is no further explanation needed. Just the basic, it’s important that the Photographer you hire, has deep Passion for their job.
- Involvement: The experience is in their hands, so they can give you a lot of tips, advices and recommendations. This is what’s called involvement, and it’s the degree of commitment you can have with a photographer that goes beyond expectations.
- Crew: It is important that the Photographer you are dealing with has a Professional crew with him or her. The Photographer can be outstanding, but they don’t have superpowers, and there is a lot going in a wedding, that the main Photographer, is not able to capture the whole. That’s why you need to hire a Photographer that has a committed and passionate team working with it.
3. Anne Sophie Maestracci Photography
French by birth, Anne Sophie Maestracci has been a Koh Samui photographer for seven years. She distinguishes herself easy by cultivating a discriminating eye for aesthetics and technical detail as well as an artist’s flair for accentuating the true beauty of couples in love. Her style is unique and strives to bring out the true nature of her clients within their environments. This, coupled with her familiar knowledge of this island and all wedding locations and venues, allows her to effortlessly delight through the best shots suited to you and your party on the day–no matter what the lighting or weather conditions.
She is a regular on the front cover and in editorial features for international bridal magazines, as well as lifestyle and property magazines. With this training and expertise, she brings years of luxury photography and editing experience to your wedding day. Resourceful, unobtrusive and charming, Anne-Sophie’s true ability lies in her tremendous talent of capturing the emotion of a special moment. Whether gazing into each other’s eyes or laughing during the toasts, relax in the knowledge that a true professional will find every flattering image of you and your loved ones.
Wedding photography, journalistic, spontaneous style, bride portraiture. Outdoor studio quality group photographs, artistic black-and-white. Packages start at THB26,000 for 4 hours including photo book and slideshow.
The Difference Between A Professional Wedding Photographer And An Amateur With A Great Camera
There has been a long debate in the Photography world to define what a Professional Photographer is and what is not. The thing is simple, if the main source of income that allow the person to live is the discipline they practice, then it becomes Professional. So, the Professional Photographers are the one that pay rent, food, and all their expenses thanks to the income Photography gives them. A fancy signature in an online photograph doesn’t mean Professional. The latest and greatest camera wrapped around the neck, isn’t a synonym of Professional as well. This is the truest difference between Professional and Amateur. And it’s important for you to know this because now you understand the price rates between your friend that has a bond with Photography, and a Professional that lives thanks to Photography.
4. Magic Day Photography
While Anna Podchasova started her as a studio and wedding photographer in Moscow, Russia. She has worked on Koh Samui for the Magic Day company since 2008. Anna believes that good wedding photography is found when the photo conjures live emotions and feelings between a couple on this fabulous day. Is also important to build beautifully staged shots, where the couple evokes the heroes in a film about love.
Her basic Wedding package is THB20,000 for 6 hours of shooting. This includes reportage and posed wedding party photos, 80 retouched pictures, and a complete archival collection containing all images from the wedding. Slideshow with music in Youtube is also available. Anna also offers you a photography session before the wedding to tell your love story in the most beautiful places on Koh Samui. Just a little something extra you’ll be able to show it to your guests on your wedding day.
Enjoy The Shoots
Pre-Wedding and Post-Wedding photography sessions are getting more common these days. The greatest difference between is that you are going to be posing in front of the camera in a session, and in the wedding field, photography is approached in a more journalistic way.
Enjoy the shoots, reflect your happiness, try not to be nervous in front of the camera, don’t look directly to the camera, just go with the lovely flow of the moments, and you’ll end up giving the photographer the best natural expressions for them to do the job.
5. Cherry May Ward Photography
Cherry May Ward Photography is based on Koh Samui, but she LOVES to travel as well! A young Australian wedding photographer, Cherry grew up in Thailand and has been in business for three years. On her few days off, you can find her paddleboarding, snorkeling–she loves the nature of Thailand and has a lot of experiencing photographing couples in natural light.
“I LOVE working with people and getting to know my clients well before their wedding day and photography session. I believe in capturing your love naturally. I like to feel like I am taking part in your day to truly capture you as a friend would capture your big day.”
Cherry May Ward Photography even offers Underwater sessions where you can incorporate your love of watersports and/or the sea in your wedding photography collections. Wedding photography collections begin at THB30,000 for 6 hours.
Plan Your Photo-shoots Wisely When Traveling
Traveling can make you very tired, so try to stick the sessions in the schedule by leaving some air to breath. Also remember that a lot of the guests have made a great effort on traveling to the destination, and they will be willing to spend time with you, plan your sessions two days after the wedding, since you’ll need at least one day to heal from the wedding night. If you want an engagement session, the same rule applies, plan it one or two days before the big day. This wise time management will allow you to get:
- Engagement Sessions
- Post-wedding sessions
- Formal Portrait sessions
6. Jacques Herremans Photography
Jacques Herremans is a Franco-Thai professional photographer and has been living on Samui Island, for many years. He approaches weddings as a journalist would, documenting the special moments of each unique wedding day as it unfolds. His primary focus is to respect the space of the couple each of these little moments while capturing the imagery. His work has been published by some of the best national and international magazines along with top online wedding resources.
With 8 years of professional photography experience, his basic package is THB12,000 and includes 3 hours of coverage, as well as high-resolution files and 30 retouched photos provided on a USB flash drive.
Important Things That Must Not Be Left Behind In A Wedding Planning
- Location: Seek for a lovely, unique and great location. It doesn’t matter if you get the best Photographer in the world, if the wedding takes place in an unappealing location. This will also be great for a “trash the dress” session.
- Who is Important: Tell to the Photography team which are the most important people for you that are going to be joining your celebration.
- No Surprises: Don’t leave anything to chance, create a strong bond with your Photographer so he or she won’t leave anything to improvisation.
We love to hear what you brides and grooms have to say. Is there any wedding photographer missing or is there any essential destination wedding photography tip that should be up there. Let us know in the comments.